Monday, February 6, 2012

Places I Love

I moved to Southeast Alaska in 2010 from Utah. I have lived in Utah most of my life. It is the world I understand best. It was my Place. The world I knew. But I needed a change. I wanted an adventure. I wanted new experiences. I truly had no idea how different this new world would be.

If you know anything about Utah you probably know that it is a desert. It is hot and dry in the summer, and cold and snowy in the winter. The sun loves to shine in the state of Utah. In Utah we received about the same number of sunny days as Southern Alaska receives rainy days. Utah has a few lakes but nothing that compares to the Pacific Ocean. I didn't even need to know what flotsam was. We didn't have any in the state.

Southeast Alaska is my new world. I want to learn all that I can about this beautiful place. Although this is my new favorite place it reminds me of a story I read recently - Grandfather's Journey by Allen Say. I connect with the message of the story -when I am in one place, I am homesick for the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment